Re: lichen sclerosus support group

Written by RS on 17. October 1999 at 02:06:23:

In Reply to: lichen sclerosus support group written by Fabia on 12. October 1999 at 23:03:58:

>I run the only support group in the UK (and possibly in the world) for lichen sclerosus (BXO in men, although the medical profession are now calling BXO in men lichen sclerosus now). My information on LS is predominantly female and I feel that I should have information available which would help men with this condition. Is there anyone who could contribute towards this information - from the point of view of being a sufferer what would be helpful to you to know about?
>------------------------------------------------------

Hello Fabia,
Thank you very much for this letter, I hope individual men will respond, and I`ll set up links on my site to direct men with LSA to your forum letter. - give it time to develop.

I can well imagine yours is the only support group in the world, you probably have rarity value a bit like me, we should team up - do you have a web site?, somehow I imagine not or else you`d say, - maybe I can help and give you a start by putting a few pages of your info on my site ... ultimately you need your own site, they`re easy to get free these days, ...

To the subject, LSA or balanitis is only a subsidiary part of my site-- and I poured out my practical info on the subject particularly in answer to message 43 "BXO" HH

There are a couple of recent medical studies which may interest you showing the development of LSA and phimotic ring among schoolboys. I have a couple of refs., but you could find the info best by doing a search in MEDLINE (do you know how to? - there`s a link to Medline at the bottom of my index.html)

The resultant medical question as I understand the situation is how does one prevent LSA from developing in the first place?

What sort of antiseptic, or anti-lichenoid cream could actually prevent or reverse any lichenoid process?

As I understand the practical situation, the letters I get indicate that the first obvious symptom of LSA or "lichenoid influences" is when a phimosis starts developing, --- I dont know if the very first symptoms may be itching, equally I dont know if the consequences of LSA may be cancer ...

The classical cure for LSA is circumcision, (in order to dry out the glans), I found it significant in one report that a partial circumcision was enough - Both balanitis.html and lsa.html record various heroic individuals who have tried fighting LSA ----

The only other thing I could do is help you understand the background of "secondary phimosis" I`d like to quote from my phimosis file:

... a narrowness of the foreskin is typically caused by a thin band of tough skin tissue. This thin band of vulnerable skin tissue is positioned towards the front of the inner foreskin and it narrows the opening of the foreskin.

Most infants have a ring and this usually stretches naturally during childhood. Sometimes the ring does not stretch, in addition it can reappear for a number of different reasons, at any time of life.

The development of a ring in mid-life is an indication for diabetes. In old age together with the general drying and tightening of the skin, fibrotic elements lead to a deterioration of the rings elasticity. The ring is also prone to rip and then as it joins, due to the scar it will usually become tighter.

The connection between the ring and LSA (also called balanitis) is particularly convoluted. Often the abrasive action of the ring during masturbation and the warm, damp, dark, enclosed area between the foreskin and glans can lead to LSA. On the other hand due to external influences (partner, soaps, side effects of other medicines,) LSA may occur and this leads to degeneration of the skin tissue and subsequently a ring can develop.

Maybe some of the fine points are incorrect in the above statements, but it gives a good general picture, I`ll write more if/when inspired, and watch this thread with interest.

Robin

ARC forum main index
forum1 index
page1 /page2

The Origins of a Taboo