Re: One testicle: I am tempted to call you a wimp

Written by R J Knight at 19 Nov 2000 01:27:20:

As an answer to: One testicle: I am tempted to call you a wimp written by BobbyR at 18 Nov 2000 21:18:58:

>>Hi. I have one testicle and I want the names of support groups for men with my problem. I also want to know if there is a procedure out there that would give me a second testicle. Please respond
>* * *
>The one you have can do everything by itself. The other one was only a spare. If there is really such a thing as a support group for THIS, I can only shake my head and wonder what kind of wimps men are becoming. Yes, you can get a silicone implant to simulate the missing family jewel, if its really so important.

There's no reason for anyone to respond to your real concern with nasty names like "wimp;" it's totally reasonable for you to be concerned with what you perceive as a problem with your reproductive apparatus. However, in point of fact, the one testicle you have has probably grown in size so it equals another guy's 2 testes in bulk (and in productivity of sperm, etc.)
When your body's developing, there's a general pattern of genetic control, but no guarantee that you're going to be endowed exactly like everybody else. Gore Vidal reported that his mother was married 3 times. Her first husband (his father) had 3 testicles; her next husband, 2, and her last husband 1. (She then wisely decided not to marry again.) If you have occasional erections and orgasms (i.e. are functioning like a normal male), and if the one testicle you have is of more or less normal size, it would seem you are perfectly normal (except for being shorted one nut!) and have nothing to worry about. However, if you are still concerned, it would be a good idea to have an endocrinologist check you out, because in spite of all the foregoing, there's one potentially serious possibility that the endocrinologist could be helpful in detecting: sometimes during development one of your 2 testicles doesn't descend, and you have one that has remained up in the abdomen. This can be dangerous because testicles retained in the abdomen are kept at higher than normal temperatures and sometimes become cancerous. If you do have one undescended testicle, count yourself lucky hat one, at least, did descend; otherwise you'd have a messy problem that could cause infertility. So by all means do have a doctor check you out, before much more time goes by. Remember, though, you are NOT a wimp (I repeat), and your concern may be valid.
I hope nature just forgot to make the second one, but if it's there & hasn't ever dropped, you need to take remedial measures. Best wishes, Bob.

Answers:

ARC forum main index
forum1 index
page1 /page2

The Origins of a Taboo