Re: BXO 'spread' to the glans

Written by Andrew at 24 Jan 2001 02:04:58:

As an answer to: BXO 'spread' to the glans written by Russ at 21. September 1999 at 22:54:40:

******************************************************************************************
I'm not sure how old this question page is, or if you are still looking for possible BXO treatments. However...

Ask your GP, MD, Urologist (assuming you are still receiving treatment?) about conservative treatments for BXO. It is my belief that circumcision or any other surgical intervention need VERY RARELY be used for Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans OR phimosis - ESPECIALLY something as drastic as a surgical urethral opening.

Recent studies by the BMA (British Medical Association) indicate that 69-81% of true BXO cases can be successfully treated long-term with the application of a (relatively) potent local steroidal cream. Applied 3 times per day, and ensuring one of those applications is immediately prior to going to bed at night, betamethasone valerate 0.1% (sold as Betnovate Cream on prescription in the UK) would certainly be worth looking into.

Contact details: Glaxo Wellcome Group, Glaxo Laboratories, Stockley Park, Middlesex, UB11 1BT, England.
******************************************************************************************

>I had a full circumcision a few months ago due to phimosis. The histology apparently confirmed BXO. I am middle aged.
>Now the urologist has diagnosed BXO on the glans - unknown cause, no treatment except surgical opening of the end of the utethra.

>I am desperate to know any alternatives to slow the progression or even halt it. Is Chinese Herbalism any good, for example?

>Any research I can read?

>Russ

ARC forum main index
forum1 index
page1 /page2

The Origins of a Taboo