[ ARC Forums Main Index ]
[ ARC forum 2 ]

He's got the cream!

Written by Paul B. at 11 Feb 2002 22:33:47:

As an answer to: 2133.htm Now that I have gotten the cream (beta methasone), how do I start? written by CaribbeanGuy at 11 Feb 2002 16:49:01:

> Sure enough, he told me ... do the dreaded CIRC! Aparrently, he is circumcised as well!

Did he say that he was? Dermatologists are often slated for a complete lack of insight! (;-)

> This doctor knows nothing about Phimosis. then again he is a dermatologist.

An American dermatologist I gather.

> BETNOVATE cream (as Bethamethasone Valerate 0.1% w/w) ... how different is this from Betha Methasone 0.5%?

It's twice as strong. For this purpose, it is the preferred version, so perhaps he's not as dumb after all. Except that it's the cream, and the ointment would be somewhat better as any dermatologist would know. No matter though.

> the lable on the cream says "apply to affected area 3 times daily for one week (use sparingly).

Note the important instruction: "use sparingly". This means that you only apply the very thinnest smear to the problem area, so that it cannot wipe off on anything else. Remember, you have the strongest available form of the medication, just a little bit will do the job.

> would it be ok for me to use this cream over a one month period,

For this purpose, yes, even longer if needed as long as you apply it only where it's needed and only a smear. Alternately you could use it one week on, one week off and repeat that as many times as it takes.

> Also, how do I apply it to the foreskin?

You pull the skin back until the tight part is turned onto the outside of the foreskin, with the glans pushing some of the loose inside foreskin through the opening so that it "sprouts" out. You should then be able to identify the tight part (smooth, shiny) and put the cream only onto this using one finger tip, all the way around. If you can feel it as being slimy or sticky afterward, you've used too much.

And remember, this cream is not the important part, though we do hope it makes things faster for your convenience. You should have started already!

The important part is the stretching - I seem to recall you stated you could fit two thumbs inside or something similar - then get your two index fingers inside and pull them apart for a few minutes, as often as you can.

Answers: