The Origins of a Taboo

ARCindex

disclaimer

ARC Forum3 index

Re: Greek words

Written by Robin at 16 Nov 2005 17:45:26:

As an answer to: Greek words written by George at 16 Nov 2005 17:32:24:

Hi George,

All the time I have spent trying to interpret your condition is amply rewarded with such info.

I have a couple more questions : - I often say that phimotic mindedness is the biggest problem in the world - could you translate "phimotic mindedness" into Greek using "fimo...." to make it sound like an illness???

I find this fascinating - censorship - and fimotro can't express himself or have an opinion. - Can fimono be used in Greek to say "shut up!" ?

I received this recently from another Greek guy "the word phimosis (or
fimosi as it's pronounced in Greek) is a modern Greek word. It comes from
the word fimono which means to gag or to choke or to trap someone's mouth
(muzzle) not to speak (fimotro is the word for the muzzle used for dogs for
example)."

You then actually dont have a fimotro problem - your problem is the frenulum - Frenulum is a Latin word .. it is used in all latin influenced countries .. as in French where "frein" means frenulum, and also the reins of a horse (and also the brakes on a car).

Both phimosis and frenulum have been used for centuries and BOTH are based on horses harnesses - the head gear - (nowadays the muzzle is more common for dogs to stop them biting - in previous times it was more common for horses when feeding)

So, what I would like to know, just out of interest, if you can help or look it up in a dictionary, - What is the Greek word for a horses reins??? - please -thanks

Robin

>Hi Robin
>The greek word you 're refering to is ''fimotro'' and this is the thing we put on someone's mouth so he can't talk or show his mouth(it is mostly used for dogs for example) and metaphorically is used to show the censorship,as he who wears fimotro can't express himself or have an opinion.The similar verb is ''fimono'' and means to prevent someone to speak.
>That's all with the greek words
>George

Answers: