The Origins of a Taboo

ARCindex

disclaimer

ARC Forum3 index

Hinduism and foreskin prohibitions

Written by Rob at 08 Feb 2006 19:22:40:

As an answer to: phimotic ring written by Rahul Verma at 29 Jan 2006 21:26:23:

Hinduism and foreskin prohibitions

The Jewish Encyclopedia (1965) Volume 1V pages 92-102 Managing Editor : Isidore Singer. KTAV Publishing House. p.102

"In India a bit of stick is used as a probe, and carried round and round between the glans and prepuce, to ascertain the exact extent of the frenum, and that no unnatural adhesions exist.".

I have had this online for years ... I always wondered why this should be necessary unless all the men had phimosis - now I realise the connection with

Boon ME, Susanti I, Tasche MJ, Kok LP, Human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated male and female genital carcinomas in a Hindu population. The male as vector and victim. Cancer 1989 Jul 15;64(2):559-65

Boon speculates without giving any references "In Bali, up to 50% of men over the age of 18 has some degree of Phimosis." Of interest: "In a Hindu population in a predominantly Muslim country not only is circumcision not practiced, but phimosis is often left untreated because of a prohibition to intervene with the male foreskin"... the study unfortunately doesn`t tell us any more on this theme.

I remember years ago seeing pictures or hearing of yogis who stretch their foreskins down to their knees ...

and then I found the following

Parkash S, et.al.: "Human subpreputial collection: its nature and formation." J Urol 110(2), 211-212 (1973) (88) Gives an indication of frequencies among Indian men: " ... 1,000 male subjects seen as out patients and of 98 patients treated surgically for phimosis ...", "The high incidence of phimosis - 21 per cent in those treated for carcimona and 12 per cent in the over-all outpatient population - can definitely be ascribed to a lack of personal hygiene", "Since most patients were unaware that the prepuce was retractable, the history of phimosis often appeared to be from birth."

any extra info would be welcome

Robin

Answers: