Male Initiation and the Phimosis Taboos

The Origins of a Taboo

ARCindex

disclaimer

ARC Forum3 index

questions regarding procedure and convalescence

Written by Brad at 26 Oct 2006 19:06:01:

hello,

i currently have total phimosis, i've had it my whole life, i know i hvae to get circumcised, adn i think that this year im going to act on it. i just haev a few questions i'd like answered before i book into the local GP to get checked upon:

1. is the process of seeing a GP a simple and quick one? and also do they give you a 'referral' which you can then take to where? if i want to go to a private hospital, where do i take the 'referral' to? does it go to the secretary to get booked in for, or if i want to go to public, where do i take it to for this?

2. under general anaesthetic, you aren't supposed to eat for 6 hours prior or drink for 1 hour prior, considering this are most operations done early in the morning when you wake up you can go straight to hospital or maybe are they later in the day? if you go private can you usually select which time it will be done at?

3. when you get to the hospital, do they take you to the preop room and give you a robe to undress into? are there many people in the preop room? can i keep my socks on?

4. do they usually inject the general inside the actual room they operate you in or do they inject it in another room and then wheel you into the main room when you are under aneasthetic?

5. does the anaesthetic hurt when you get the intraveneous needle into your arm/wrist? can you opt to get gas-only anaesthetic? will they inject local into you after the operation is done even if you have had general?

6. when you wake up, whats the first thin you see? are you in a recovery room? will a nurse be there shortly afte ryou wake up? how long do you sit in the recovery room in hours before you can go? do you have privacy to dress etc, what if you brought a bag/mobile phoen with you, how do you get access to that?

7. i've never been uner general so i don't know what it feels like, but everyone says you can't drive after general, has anyone risked this? i will ask someone to pick me up, but i was just wandering, will i feel so groggy i will just want to go to bed after i get home?

8. everyone says erections hurt, yet i also read some people say that you can get medication? what is the name of the medication that stops these nocturnal erections? is it successful at doing so?

9. once you get home, what type bandage setup will be over the penis? obviously you have to have access to urinate, but will it just be a simple bandage wrapped around teh circumference of your penis/wound? does it hurt to pee once you have had it done?

10. how is the first night, is it hard to get to sleep?

11. the next day, how hard is it to walk? when one attempts to walk, where is the pain from, the wound site or teh entire penis, walking like a crab, is this just so the inner thigh has no chance of coming near the penis head? can i walk straight if i do it slowly? how many days until i can walk straight?

12. what type underwear do people wear, i hear some wear jockstraps,, and some where boxers,, which is better? what happens if you wear a jockstrap and a hard or soft athletic cup? would that hurt or would it be better so that when you walk, you dont' bang it into anything or something?

13. how many days until i could start donig a bit of exercise? how about powerwalking? jogging? are we talking in weeks or months?

14. i was thinking of doing this about 3-4 weeks before uni exams, is this a bad idea, will i have recovered enough in time. in my period of convalescence, will i be able to study at my desk and be able to concentrate on it all?

15. does the doctor give you oral antibiotics the day you leave the hospital? does he sometimes give you pain killers? if you ask for pain killers, can you be allowed them?

16. for someone who has had their head covered their entire life, if i stretch it fully, i can see about a bit of my head, the opening is about 5mm and if i touch it it stings, if i wear tight underwear, will it sting incessantly while i wear it or will it just sting initially once underwear makes contact with it and then stop a bit? for someone who has had this complete phimosis, is it a longer period that it takes for the sensitivity to wear down? is it uncommon for it to go over 4 weeks?

17. is the main thing affecting exercise the sensitivity of the glans?

18. is it painful to shower, to wet it initially? how od you shower with a condom over it if its swolen? is it possible? or do some people just not shower for a day and wash themselves with a wet cloth or something? on the second day its usually save to shower right?

sorry for all these questions, i've read over a lot of the forums, and i know a lot can be answered from just that, but i just want the confirmation, reassurance etc of it all. i'm quite nervous about doing this, im turning 20 in december and have knowna bout this for about 2 yeras now, i just keep procrastinating and i really think i should just get it over and done with this year so i can spend the holidays recovering and be fully recovered for when uni starts again next year.

anyway, thanksa bunch guys :)

Brad

Answers: