Home Site:
Male Initiation and the Phimosis Taboos

The Origins of a Taboo

ARCindex

disclaimer

ARC Forum3 index

Balanitis

Written by J- at 12 Nov 2006 02:32:58:

I am cut and have had a red irritation under the corona of the penis on the left side for about eight weeks now. The redness also seems to effect the frenulum and the meatus partially as well. I have treated it with the occasional of betamethasone 0.05 cream and it has seemingly calmed down somewhat.

I made a first visit to my family doctor about the issue about three weeks ago when it was a "fresh" discovery that something was not right after it not settling, and his reaction was that I was crazy and this reddening was a normal appearance of the penis. He basically acted as though I was 'paranoid' and told me then that if there were cold sores he would run a Herpes test, which was not even my concern to start with being in a monogamous relationship. Needless to say off topic, knowing my body better than he does, I walked out of there in disgust. The guy that has been my M.D. for 20 years portrayed himself as a total moron that day, and I am on the verge of switching to a new doctor.

Today I went to the walk-in clinic and saw a different doctor who took a look at it and was very forward. He told me that it looked like I had a "balanitis" type rash. I explained that it came up like eczema but it sunk in and still has a reddish purple-like appearance along corona and slightly over the ridge. He was great. He basically explained not to worry, because it wouldn't be overly necessary to treat it unless the flare-up became more severe then to seek "Monistat". But the other point he made was that the pigment would stay that way on the penis for a very long time -- like would a scar on any part of the body, and it may turn white over time. His explaination was that the damage had been done, but that its nothing unusual and it's never a coloring contest. Simple washing is the best treatment to solve Balanitis.

My question now is whether or not this sounds accurate and if there is something that can better help solve the appearance of this problem, which aesthetically isn't all that pleasing. If the redness is still there -- how long does one wait for the problem to situate? I don't want to have a two faced penis for the rest of my adult life.

Answers: