This site discusses phimosis in its specific forms of phimotic ring, frenulum breve, adhesions or skinbridges. During erection these conditions inhibit the relationship between foreskin and glans. This functionally restricts the erection, and thus has an effect on the sexuality. With our culture's attitudes on health care, it would be appropriate to encourage early prevention.

Jan 2021 : Please read the new summary.


Dear Robin,

I have recently dicovered that my nine year old son has phimosis. We went along to see the urologist who had a quick look at the problem and promptly asked the nurse to arrange for a circumcision.

When I asked what options were available, I was met with what can only be described as a 'blank look'. I left his consulting room, not reassured as I'd imagined, but frustrated and as much 'in the dark' as I had been previously.

This is where you come in, it occurred to me that if I looked at 'circumcision' on the internet, I might at least know more about what was going to happen, and be able to help my son through it all.

This was pricisely how I stumbled upon your website and after spending some considerable time absorbing the relevant information, I revisited our doctor. It never ceases to amaze me just what a difference it makes when you sound like you know what you're talking about - I was not treated like some over-fussing mother, nor was I treated like an idiot who cannot absorb information.

The doctor will now refer my son to anyone I choose, and herein lies my problem........I can't find a surgeon who has performed a partial circ. or even one who has heard of this method of treatment. Am I going mad? How hard can it be?

In the meantime, my young chap is stressing out, can you point us in the right direction? Perhaps you have a list of urologists who are familiar with this treatment. We live in Manchester, England. I hope you can help us, Robin - any advice would be most welcome.

Yours sincerely,

- it seems betamethasone 0.5% is the optimal treatment in 85% of all childhood cases of phimosis - a dermatologist (skin specialist) would be the optimal doctor. Cheers Robin