Re: Kenalog as a cure for Phimosis ?

Written by Roxane at 04 Feb 2000 23:33:23:

As an answer to: Re: Kenalog as a cure for Phimosis ? written by R.J. Knight at 03 Feb 2000 15:46:27:

I am the one who posted about Kenalog .1%. I used it on my son and it worked within two weeks time (and his foreskin was so tight that the glans were not visible at all). The doctor we got it from says he also knows a doctor at Sick Children's Hospital who prescribes it regularly for Phimosis with great success.
Another topical steroid cream that works for phimosis is .05% betamethasone.
You should check out Nick's account of how this worked for him.
Topical steroid creams are used standardly for everthing from mouth ulcers to diaper rash, but Nick (hope you don't mind me taking liberties with your name, Nick) and I have both seen that they work for phimosis as well.
The only down side is that the phimosis will recurr without regular continued retraction (a problem we encountered with my son who was only 8 when we used it, but certainly not a problem for any older male).
Sometimes no amount of stretching will work (I have heard from quite a few men with this problem).
Obviously I don't have a foreskin, but if I did and it wouldn't retract,
I would opt for this painless method of treatment before I would allow someone to SLIT (ouch) my foreskin. This is why I spent so much time searching out this
information for my son, even though several doctors insisted circumcission was his only recourse.
The dorsal slit may prove to be necessary at times, but why do it without trying this more conservative method first. It has a 90% success rate by the way.
Please forgive me if I seem over zealous on this subject, but I was just so relieved when I found out about this cream. It meant alot to me to spare my son the pain of circumcission. I just want to make sure other males (and mothers of sons) know they have this option.
Roxane

>>Someone mentioned Kenalog might help Phimosis , was wondering if anyone else has tried it. Did an internet search on it and found it is a cure for mouth ulcers but nothing came up with it as a cure for Phimosis.
>Knowing nothing whatever about Kenalog I should have tghe grace to keep quiet at this time, but I seriously question what help a cure for mouth ulcers would have for a structural problem which can be helped (cured?) by stretching or slitting the offending foreskin to relieve the binding and make it possible to keep the glans-and-foreskin clean (and, hopefully, infection-free) at all times. If somebody does know of a definite, positive response to Kenalog, I'[d like to hear about it. Cheers, Bob.

Answers:

ARC forum main index
forum1 index
page1 /page2

The Origins of a Taboo