Adult onset phimosis ? Does it have to be circumcision ?

Written by Peter at 15 Apr 2000 17:14:23:

I have developed problems retracting my foreskin over the last few years. This first appeared when I was about 25, I am now 30. Browsing web-sites it would appear I have developed a phimotic ring. The foreskin is very tight across a circular cross-section of my penis below the glans on erections, and has made sex very painful. During sex I used to develop cuts often along this section of my foreskin but this doesn't seem to happen anymore.

I grew up in the UK, but now live in the USA where circumcision is the norm for ALL men. I have discussed the problem with my doctor and a urologist, and they have both mentioned circumcision, which puts me right off visiting them again. There is a very strong pro-circumcision culture here. I was married 6 months ago, it has gotten far worse since then, and I feel terrible for my (American) wife.

What are my options ? Will any self-treatment help ? Should I return to the UK for treatment ? I am currently being treated with a fungicide, Nystatin, but it has done nothing.

It was so comforting to find the information on the web, and read through the other postings on this forum. I had felt so alone with this problem.

Peter

Answers:

ARC forum main index
forum1 index
page1 /page2

The Origins of a Taboo