This site discusses phimosis in its specific forms of phimotic ring, frenulum breve, adhesions or skinbridges. My concern is the early prevention of phimosis. The late correction of adult phimosis was never my interest. My belief is that once the medical profession realise the need, they will develop hundreds of new methods of treatment which I cant even imagine ... Therefore treatment is purely an appendix on this site, however, because I have no specific bias, my research allowed a rare objective survey of the many posibilities.

This site offers detailed information on individual problem related treatment, often advising simple, cheap, minimal and specific surgery and time honoured solutions taken from traditional methods including partial circumcision, dorsal slit and frenular incision and tying. - (Links are given where appropriate to sites dealing with the modern solutions of preputial plasty and full-circumcision).


Any doctor reading this with alternative suggestions - please contact ARCgroup forum


The doctor examines for foreskin conditions in the flaccid state, many would not even consider the erectile effects. Doctors do not generally realise as Wabrek eventually did "... just because the foreskin slides over the flaccid penis does not mean it is going to slide over the erect penis." Without a good knowledge of your own condition, there is a justifyable fear of inaccurate diagnosis and being offered an unecssary full circumcision as the only option.

Even erection stimulants will not show the erectile effects. As Wabrek realised, diagnosis is simplest and is far more accurate by talking. However, maybe discussing intimate details is an unecessary embarrassment for you and your doctor.

Ok so Doctors are usually reasonable people and if you talk with them in a practical way then they will respond positively.

The important point and attitude to adopt about a self diagnosis is that you understand your condition enough, - to make it worth a doctor discussing treatment with you in an intelligent manner, instead of simply and usually recommending circumcision - with you left clueless and unhappy.

WHICH DOCTOR ... (did I say Witch Doctor?)

Jewish Doctor for Partial Circumcision
The doctors who are practised and perfected with partial circumcision are Jewish doctors. Please see Partial Circumcision

Dermatologists - "skin doctors" are the specialists for methods and ointments which will stretch skin. We`re not talking about internal things (in which the urologist is very well versed) --- Besides which they regularly have to deal with VD problems balanitis etc. so they`re probably far more used to looking at foreskins than urologists and surgeons are

If you want any sort of operation, go to a surgeon. Surgeons are the experts for cutting. I used to advise going to the urologists, one imagines that this is the urologists special field, but urologists receive no training on the function of the foreskin, only on internal organs.

Frenulum treatment is no problem for an Urologist. Every urologist has learned how to do this piece of professional plastic surgery - even circumcision with modern helpers (plastibells etc.) is technically an incredibly simple operation and they have often learned a method passed down from a senior doctor. And this is the point, a surgeon would be far more likely to know any latest developments.

For a half hour operation the individual doctor is understandably unwilling to spend a couple of hours devising a specific new operation and then taking responsibility that it`ll work.

If you want a special operation, plastic surgery etc. then it will probably cost, and a cosmetic surgeon may be best - someone who does breast surgery would probably feel he was an appropriate doctor.

Dont try and impress them with scientific names, doctors dont like this, I suggest you call phimosis - the ring : and frenulum - the band - if you can admit to some of the typical symptoms and then say its something to do with the band or ring - then you and he can be happy as he confirms your diagnosis.

Doctors seem to quite like their patients bringing in recent relevant medical studies - they have so much new to learn all the time and so actually seem to appreciate being presented with new solutions from the meical literature. - (naturally they`d prefer the original literature to extracts from my site - but I dont have fax so the only other suggestion is go to medline).

And then be friendly, practical and un-embarrassed and say "I`d like to try Betamethasone 05 to cure a phimotic ring, here it says in these medical studies that it often works - (or can you refer me to a dermatologist)" OR "Hi Doc. I`ve got a minor phimosis problem and I`d appreciate it if you`d put 2 or 3 plastic cuts in it - (or refer me to a good surgeon)."